Search Irish Boutiques Magazine

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Bloggers Part 1 : Whisty



I started the blog because there are always a million things I see every day that I want to scream and shout and write about. I was working for a monthly magazine but there was always this great fashion news that needed instant coverage which can’t happen in a monthly mag and so Whisty was born. I just wanted to share the important or beautiful or unusual things that I see, with other people who might just appreciate and love them as much as me.


So Dublin? What I love about this city is that there is so much local fashion talent alongside the high-street and designer shops waiting to be discovered. I love the boutiques in Temple Bar and Cows Lane, and the Powerscourt Townhouse is the most heavenly place to wish-shop when pennies are scarce. (Esp. the antique jewellers!) Speaking of pennies, I'm afraid that I am one of the many women whose wardrobe is only ever curbed by cash-flow; but it does lead to some pretty pocket-friendly fashion posts.


I also love the charity shops along Georges St. that run from Dame St all the way to Rathmines, they are some of my favourite places to while away an afternoon. Plus, Dubs are super generous, those shops are often brimming with stuff and always staffed by great, local volunteers. That area of Dublin is pretty special anyway, both the locals and the buildings are bursting with character and there are some seriously stylish people who call it their stomping ground, I love it there.

A bit about why fashion…
I obtained an interest in fashion when I was growing up, my mum used to be a dress-maker and worked for a fabric designer in London, so I grew up surrounded by patterns, sketches, fabrics and pins and needles! Suffice to say style / fashion whatever you choose to call it, is in my blood. As soon as I started a part-time job I spent my pay on copies of Vogue and Elle which eventually led to, until recently, an editorial position at a fashion and lifestyle magazine. I love writing about fashion, reading about it, looking at it, shopping, dressing up and putting different looks together and therefore the blog takes up most of my time. I describe my style as half ultra feminine and half super edgy, a strange combination but I think it works.


My favourite designers include Alexander McQueen and Vivienne Westwood; Dior and Hermés for accessories and at the moment, subject to change, Burberry Prorsum for dresses. I like mixing up my clothes and my look, allowing how I feel on each particular day to influence the look, sometimes rock chic, sometimes classic, sometimes feminine but always edgy. It leads to a different vibe everyday which keeps my style changing constantly…

No comments: