Search Irish Boutiques Magazine

Monday, January 18, 2010

To Sparkle or not to Sparkle





This Article is From the Lovely Bebhinn from HellwaFashion


Mmmmm I really didn’t want to do this, but I almost jacked in blogging and joined the fashion police force after the crimes I’ve seen out and about this week.
During the festive season I turned a blind eye to sparkles, mainly because I’ve lived through many a Christmas in Ireland, where perfectly fashionably acceptable girls lose all sense of their own style (and all sense for that matter) and don highly inappropriate tight sequined dresses for two weeks.
The thing with this years sparkles is that they are a fashion trend and are here to stay well into the new year.
I hate to state the obvious here but sequins draw attention. We need to tread with care when tackling this trend.Before we start a “size zero” debate, I’m a curvy girl myself, If you have curves by all means celebrate them, but please don’t have normal folk assuming it’s a “baby shower” type of celebration.
If you have Kate Mosse’s figure you would look a million dollars in a sequined jumpsuit if you don’t then please note the following.
1. Very heavy sequined dresses (think mid-range designer) are likely to look good as they are so heavy they will hang well on a curvy body and accentuate your curves. Cheap dresses will make you look pregnant. Changing room mirrors can be deceiving so make sure you check and double check the fit.
2. A sequined jacket is a great way to wear the trend – if you keep it simple. Generally a sequined jacket will hide your arms and accentuate your femininity. Keep the rest of the look simple, jeans, plain top, killer heels and a nice bag.
3. Sequined bags (especially in gold) are perfect. I recently saw a girl head to toe in black, with a big, squishy gold sequined bag. You could spot her a mile off, she was grabbing attention for all the right reasons while dressing in forgiving, fashionable black.
4. If you’re not comfortable seeking attention but still want to be in on the trend. Wear a sparkly necklace and wrap it around your wrist a couple of times (or a couple of sparkly bracelets). It looks fantastic when someone is talking or just resting their hands on the table. It also draws attention to your wrists, which for most of us are a good feature (and for me the skinniest feature you’ll find on my body!) so it’s a win, win really.
5. Shoes that sparkle are ok too.

Don’t make us blind with your bling, follow these rules and sparkle and shine.

The dress in the picture left is available from Net-a-porter.com. Also worth browsing around their "jacket" section for ideas on how sequined jackets should be worn.
*Before I start fielding calls from the embassy, Irish women are not solely to blame, I’m sure other nationalities are worse, but I’ve only ever experienced Xmas in Dubai or Ireland, so I’m drawing from experaince.

No comments: