Search Irish Boutiques Magazine

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Fashion Industry Insider by Nick Harris




I nearly missed my flight yesterday morning, as I simply can’t leave in the mornings without my daily bowl of porridge. I know that may seem entirely boring and bland but as each day unfolds it’s nice to start with the same routine a Of course after that anything can and often does happen! A four thirty start for a nine o’clock range meeting in South Molten Street Falke showrooms in London yesterday and back home by ten-thirty last night. I only have to see a seat on a plane and I’m asleep before they can whip out the ‘whistle to draw attention’ bit of the security spiel.

London was hot and buzzing yesterday, I had one hour before turnaround so headed to Selfridges to see if I could spot anything new. All the new collections are in and the sale seems to be over. I’ve noticed that the middle market seems to be being squeezed out with the top end more markedly obvious and the lower gift market also growing. I’m deducing that this reflects the recession, which always squeezes the middle market hardest.

Oxford street is full of high street stores so no need to go into those, they bore me to tears but there is one that I did take a good look at, Uniqlo which has an interesting and more unique point of sale offer than the rest. Simple cuts in interesting fabrics in few colours with a distinctly Japanese feel though the sizes seem generous enough. Price points seem very reasonable.

The Falke range meeting was actually more interesting than normal with the best Spring Summer range presented than I’ve ever seen. It erupted into hysterical laughter when the lovely German lady kept saying the word focus in a way that came out as something completely different and very rude. After the third time we had to explain what the laughter was about in simple but graphic detail, but it was certainly an icebreaker. Luckily she has a good sense of humour and took the joke very well.

Time now to get back to making appointments and travelling the road. I think I’ll head for Kilkenny tomorrow and see what’s happening there?

Have a fashionable week ahead……

No comments: