Search Irish Boutiques Magazine

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Fashion Industry Insider





Firing on all cylinders is how I would describe the life of a Fashion Agent (or me in particular) right now. Dealing with the now, the future and sometimes the past at the same time gets a little confusing. The Now is all the ranges coming in which each have to be edited, priced and displayed and appointments made as well as the task of collecting money owed to the companies. This is one of the most important jobs for without payment there can be no future orders and no commission which in effect is the life blood of the business. The Future is the collections I have been asked to look at for next season which simply can’t be ignored and the Past is dealing with customer queries, deliveries of goods that were ordered a few months ago but that are hitting the shops now. As in every business it is the variables that can be either a positive or a negative and minimising the possibilities of things going wrong is a complete job description in itself.

On the blogging front there are days when I think, ‘what in the name of heavens am I going to write about today’? then I bump into someone who says they love my blog and read it every day and that gives me the kick in the backside needed to start me rolling again. The whole area of the Internet is an absolute fascination to me and I’m lucky that it is in the main, inhabited by people much younger than me who are generous with their time and advice. When I get stuck I simply shout out on Twitter and someone is bound to come to my aid fast. I find myself repaying in kind by offering, for example a recipe for lamb the other day and what to take for a sore throat on another occasion (zinc is the answer to that question by the way)

For those of you who haven’t dipped into either Facebook or Twitter and who need a little advice I’m happy to pass on what little I know. You can find me on Nickysragtales on both. Who knows what you might learn and where it might lead….

Have a fashionable week ahead…

1 comment:

Clare Morgan said...

Yes Nicky, dealing with the past, present and future is tricky! I agree wholeheartedly!