Search Irish Boutiques Magazine

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nickys Ragtales


The weather is a hot topic of conversation in Ireland. With every greet and meet comes a comment on the state of the prevailing climate of the day or even the hour. For most of us it’s just a passing interest but for farmers and anyone in the retail Fashion business it really it an important factor. Today was typical bad fashion, good personal weather! Warm and dry. New stock has arrived in and no matter how many times we are told that this is going to be a great outerwear season it must be hard to sell a coat on a warm day.

There are however designers and collections that manage to buck the trend. The new Heidi Higgins collection was delivered to the eight Irish retailers last week and I have already had phone calls for repeats. The photo shoot and article in the Independent Sunday Life magazine last week certainly helps move things along. I have taken a personal decision regarding the taking on of new agencies and its simple. The product must be something I really like and it has to have good marketing behind it. If companies are not prepared to invest in this market then I won’t either.

London fashion week is nearly over and I was supposed to be there. The hard copy invites are sitting on my mantelpiece! I was struck down with an infetion that has had me grounded and so I have been watching and blogging quite successfully from my couch. Live streaming has become de rigueur and provides a really good view of the shows. I loved the Burberry show, Ashish was a total mess and Jaeger London was sublime. You can check out all the shows yourself by just Googling ‘LFW live stream’ if you want to catwalk couch surf yourself.

Have a fashionable week ahead…..


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have an agency and I couldn't agree more regarding brands/labels not pulling a finger out and investing in their own brand for the long term. I cannot get my head around how they expect to survive long term without a public image of some kind. I think its lazy and also cheap skate thinking that the shops and the agent are going to do all the leg work for them. Maybe in better times it worked well enough but now I just think they are dreaming.....